Sri heads the Intellectual Property, Sports and Gaming laws practice of the Firm.
Sri is recognised as an "IP Star" by Managing Intellectual Property, a leading publication in the area of Intellectual Property. He has been described as “brilliant, dedicated” and recognised as a Leading Lawyer in the area of Intellectual Property by the Legal 500 Asia Pacific.
Sri’s main area of practice is intellectual property law. Sri was the Managing Partner of Kandiah & Sri, a boutique law firm which is focused in the protection and resolution of issues relating to intellectual property rights, before the firm merged with Christopher & Lee Ong in 2015.
Sri holds a Bachelor of Laws (LLB) (Hons) Degree from King’s College London, United Kingdom. He was awarded the Malaysian Law Scholarship 1999, which is a full scholarship awarded by University of London to the student with the best results in Malaysia for the 1st year of LLB, to read law at King’s College London for the 2nd and 3rd year of the LLB degree.
Sri’s main area of practice is intellectual property law, in relation to both contentious and non-contentious work. He assists and represents clients in relation to disputes relating to patents, copyright, privacy and trade secrets, trade mark, passing off, industrial designs, advertising and domain name and also in relation to various aspects of enforcement of intellectual property rights. Over the years, he has represented many multinational companies from diverse range of sectors in litigation and in managing and implementing anti-piracy and anti-counterfeiting programmes for them.
His non-litigation work includes drafting and advising on IP issues in corporate and commercial transactions, particularly in relation to licensing, franchising, regulatory advice, entertainment, sponsorship and merchandising.
Sri has also successfully acted in the first contested adjudication before the Communications and Multimedia Content Forum (CMCF) in respect of a broadcast advertisement for a leading global oil company.
The following are some of the cases that he has been involved in:
- Acted for a renowned multinational medical device company in a patent infringement and invalidation action against another renowned multinational medical device company in respect of the patent of a medical device.
- Acted in a patent invalidation action against the owner of a patent in an invention used in the oil palm industry.
- Acted for a renowned glove manufacturer in defending a patent infringement and invalidation action brought by a competitor in relation to a glove manufacturing system.
- Acted for a company offering imaging technology and innovative security solutions in a patent infringement and invalidation action instituted by a competitor.
- Acted and succeeded in a patent infringement suit for a well-known Muslim fashion brand in Malaysia.
- Acted for a well-known soft drinks and beverage maker in an industrial design infringement and revocation action against its competitor in respect of the industrial design of a beverage bottle.
- Acted for the owner of technology communication devices in an industrial design infringement action enforcing its registered industrial design against a competitor which used similar devices.
- Acted for a motorcycle manufacturer in relation to a copyright infringement action filed by a renowned multinational motorcycle manufacturer.
- Acted for a manufacturer of waste water treatment machine in a copyright infringement action against ex-employees who misappropriated company trade secrets and set up a competing business.
- Acted for local companies defending a suit for breach of confidence, breach of fiduciary duty, etc.
- Successfully acted in a trade mark infringement and passing off action for a renowned international hotel chain against a local hotel.
- Successfully acted in a trade mark cancellation action for a multinational consumer care products company against a former distributor in Malaysia.
- Successfully acted in a copyright infringement, passing off and unlawful interference with trade action for a multinational consumer care products company against a competitor.
- Successfully acted in resisting a trade mark infringement and passing off action taken by a renowned developer against client in the tourism development industry.
- Assisted an exhibition organiser in resisting a trade mark infringement and passing off action filed by its competitor.
- Assisted a Middle Eastern fast food chain in cancelling the trade mark registration of its competitor.
- Assisted a multinational learning and educational tools company in cancelling the trade mark filed by a local company.
- Assisted a renowned foreign tea manufacturer in negotiating the assignment of a trade mark filed by a local company in Malaysia.
- Acted for a local leading car windshield repair shop in settling a trade mark dispute.
- Successfully acted in the first contested adjudication before the Communications and Multimedia Content Forum (CMCF) in respect of a broadcast advertisement for a leading global oil company.
- Successfully acted in a contested adjudication action before the Communications and Multimedia Content Forum (CMCF) and Advertising Standards Authority Malaysia (ASA) in respect of broadcast and published advertisements for a renowned multinational consumer product company.
- Assisted and advised many multinational companies (including luxury goods manufacturers, fashion brands, major sports manufacturers, automotive parts manufacturers, consumer goods, etc.) on enforcement strategy against counterfeits; coordinated and executed criminal raids with law enforcement officers
- Member, Intellectual Property Committee, Bar Council, Malaysia
- Committee, Licensing Executives Society of Malaysia (LESM)
- Member of the International Trade Mark Association (INTA)
- Member, Malaysian Intellectual Property Association (MIPA)
- Member, Sports Committee, Bar Council, Malaysia
- Chapter on Entertainment Law in Bullen & Leake & Jacob’s Malaysian Precedents of Pleadings.
- Trade Description Orders: Handle with care – Managing Intellectual Property, Malaysia IP Focus 2007 2nd Edition.
- Federal Court puts an end to battle over ‘Mc’ prefix – World Trademark Review (September 22, 2009).
- Numerous internal publications and client newsletters.